Tuesday 16 March 2010

work in progress

I am working on what I think will become my main project. The project is an extension of the noisy self miking rhythm stick developed earlier this term. The concept is to develop a musical game, taking the idea of using dice to generate random patterns within a set of parameters, inspired by a set of poker dice which I have kept since I was 18.

The idea is to use reacTIVision to read fiducials from the faces of five dice, the values and location of which will be interpreted using Processing and this will be passed as midi messages to Ableton Live and used to trigger loops, and control the volume and position of each loop within the mix.

The concerns I have is to create a rich experience with the game; if it is just based on the possible permutations of the set, 7,776 combinations in all, then the game is limited and self reproducing. By using some of the information about the location of the dice relative to the table, based on the centre of the playing area, then I will incorporate a level of complexity which will render the repeatability almost impossible.

No pictures of the game yet, and the code is still a bit lumpy, but i intend to have this up and running in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment