Monday 22 February 2010

Mapping the Space

For this weeks task of exploring Brighton, while following a different landscape, I have used a map which details the quickest route t0 the goal of the maze at Hampton Court (link to maze on Google Maps).
A great guide to garden mazes is here, and the route I followed looks like:

The rules I followed in recreating the maze in Brighton were:
I started by the gates of the station on Queens Road, looking down to the sea,
I walke the map, and followed the next turning which matched the direction of the turn indicated on the maze map (left for left and right for right),
I ignored the different angles and the distances indicated in the maze map, and treated the two small chicanes on the "upsloping sides" of the map as full corners, and from here I set off down Queens Road.

The maze has many angles which are more acute and obtuse that the largely grid system of the streets of Brighton, and the street lengths are far longer, so while the goal of the maze can be reached quickly, tracing the route in Brighton took one and a half hours.

I soon realised that I didn't have a clue where the goal would fall, and the path looped back on itself very quickly, with the path running in a clockwise loop around the junction of North Road and Queens Road.



Walking across the front of Churchill Square, I suddenly thought that following the map would guide the route off into the sea. Walking passed Russell Square this looked very likely, only for the route to run along Russell Road, behind the Brighton Centre and away from the seafront. I never got to walk along the seafront.


Later, after a loop around the church on Dyke Road, just as I thought the path would run bck to follow Queen Road and run back into North Laine to finish, a right turn along Zion Gardens appeared, and following this led along towards the Clock Tower and took the path south into the Lanes.

The final loop of the path the route followed was along Ship Street, left and left again to travel North up West Street, and left again leaving the Goal of the maze as Fabrica and the corner of Ship Street.








1 comment:

  1. I have mapped the walk in Google, and you can find this here:
    http://alturl.com/h29b
    Good luck,
    Ru

    ReplyDelete